Thursday, October 9, 2008

Easiest Vanilla Cupcakes

The RSPCA cupcake day was held in August this year to raise much needed funds for this wonderful organization. Because there are only 2 of us in our household (not including Sampson of course!), I don’t often make cupcakes as we never tend to eat them quickly enough. I know I could probably freeze them un-iced, but it is the icing that makes the cupcake! So the RSPCA cupcake day was the perfect excuse for me to cook up many of the recipes I had been desperate to try, but hadn’t yet had the chance to.

Of all the recipes I cooked, these vanilla cupcakes were by far the easiest. I have shared this recipe with some of the Mums I work with because they would be perfect for a kids birthday party or as a birthday treat to share with their friends at school.

Easiest Vanilla Cupcakes

90g softened butter
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
½ cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 180º (160º for fan forced). Line muffin pan with paper cases.

Beat all ingredients in small bowl with electric mixer on low until ingredients are just combined, then increase speed to medium and beat until the mixture has changed to a paler colour.

Divide mixture among cases and bake for about 20 minutes for standard size muffins or approx 9 mins for mini cupcakes like I have made here. Allow cakes to cool on a wire rack before icing.

That’s it! They are so simple!

I used a plain icing for these – about ½ cup pure icing sugar and a little warm water (about 2 tablespoons) to give a smooth consistency (you can add flavoured essence or colours or cocoa too if you wish). I like using pure icing sugar because it sets hard so you can decorate you cupcakes with coconut or sprinkles or lollies and they won’t fall off! I find it easier to keep my bowl of icing over another bowl which has some warm water in it to keep the icing from setting before I can spread it over my cupcakes.

Although if you make the icing too runny - it drips down the sides like these chocolate ones! Oops!


This is the perfect recipe to make butterfly cakes - you know, the ones with a hole in the top filled with jam and cream and then little cake wings perched on top? I love those cakes!

No comments: