Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Double Chocolate Cupcakes

I love chocolate. What woman doesn’t? I like dark chocolate especially and my all time favourite food is chocolate ice-cream studded with chocolate pieces. Strangely I don’t tend to make a lot of chocolate desserts as all too often I find them overly rich and sickly sweet. But these cupcakes were lovely!

I made them for the RSPCA cupcake day earlier this year and they went down a treat with my work colleagues. I used the recipe posted here by Kel at Sweet Treats and added chocolate chunks for a little bit of decadence!

Double Chocolate Cupcakes
90g butter, melted
1 cup SR flour, sifted
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
100g chopped dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70%)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 180C (160 fan forced).
Sift the flour and cocoa together. Add all other ingredients and mix until just combined (don't overmix or they will be tough). Spoon into cupcake papers and bake for approximately 15 mins

Chocolate Buttercream Icing
55g softened butter
240g sifted icing sugar
2 tbs cocoa
1 ½ tbs milk

Beat butter until light and creamy. Gradually beat in half the icing sugar and cocoa, then add the milk. Beat in the remaining icing sugar and cocoa. (Add extra milk if necessary to make a smoother consistency). This icing is good for piping, but I simply smeared it on!

I simply rolled the edges in 100s &1000s or carefully dipped the top to decorate them.
My bike obsessed husband has signed up for the Sydney to the Gong bike ride this weekend so I again have a day to myself - hopefully this time I will get my Leanne's house quilt basted together. Fingers crossed! And then there is Christmas pressies to start thinking about too...maybe next week!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Renee,
Yummy, When making them add a piece of Mars bar or Moro into the middle, then that is real decadence, not that I would know of course!!!
Your husband is mad like my son, but quilting time to yourself, who cares, encourage them.

Anonymous said...

Your cupcakes look great, with very nice ingredients. Think I'm going to make them for my kids who will have exams next week. To give them some sweet home made energy. Thanks for sharing.