Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lamb shank soup with pearl barley and lentils

I love my Chasseur pot. My husband gave it to me for my birthday last year. I have been waiting for the weather to turn a little cooler so that I could pull it out of the cupboard and start making some soups and casseroles. So, when the rains hit last week, I decided it was time.

This soup has everything I want in a hearty, healthy winter meal – meat, pulses and vegies and loads of flavour. Plus it freezes beautifully which is always good in my book. The recipe comes from Karen Martini who I know I've gushed over before, but she is the queen (in my opinion!) of hearty meals, and this recipe is another of her best. I know the ingredient list looks a little daunting, but it is worth it – trust me!


Lamb shanks with pearl barley and lentils
Serves 4-6

50ml extra virgin olive oil
2 large lamb shanks – cut into 3cm pieces (ask the butcher to help!)
Salt flakes and cracked black pepper
1 ½ brown onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 small red chillies, finely chopped and seeds left in (or to taste)
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp freshly cracked black peppercorns
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp caraway seeds
Generous pinch of saffron threads
150g celeriac, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 sticks celery, sliced
1x 400g can tomatoes
8 cups water
1 tsp beef stock powder (or 1 cube)
½ cup (100g) pearl barley
50g red lentils
100g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
30g fresh or frozen peas
Natural yoghurt, lemon and extra virgin olive oil to serve

Heat olive oil in heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add lamb, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and brown on all sides. Add onion, garlic, chillies and spices and stir well.

Add fresh vegies and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes. Add tomatoes and water, stock powder, barley, lentils and chickpeas. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover the dish and reducew heat to low and simmer for 2 ½ - 3 hours or until meat is very tender and falling off the bone.

Stir in peas and check seasoning. Serve topped with a dollop of yoghurt, lemon wedges and a drizzle of olive oil.

Recipe from Where the Heart is, by Karen Martini

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

Yes yes yes! 'Tis the weather for all sorts of lovely stews and soups. This looks delicious, I'm very partial to lamb shanks and all of those slow cooked pieces :)

Kate said...

mmmmm, looks good! perfect for horrible cold weather.

OohLookBel said...

That is a gorgeous red Chasseur pot - I so want one! And it's definitely time to bring out the pearl barley and hearty soups...

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

This sounds beautiful with so many spices. Yum!

a good yarn said...

I have one of Karen's books and plan to *take it for a spin* over Easter. You soup looks delish. I've had my cast iron casserole for 15 years and it has served me well.

Enjoy...Ann :)

Pam said...

I love cooking in my Dutch oven too - it makes the best soups. This looks comforting and delicious.

Kellie said...

This just looks so yummy!!! Looking forward to seeing some more raw edge applique! :)

Kellie said...

Renee I am making my second pot of this yummy soup tonight! It is toooooo delicious! Thank you so much!!!

Unknown said...

I made this the other night with everything except for the celeriac (couldn't find it in the store, used extra celery instead) and caraway seeds (can't stand them), and it was great. Very hearty and super tasty, the combination of ingredients is just right.