Tuesday, February 16, 2010

crinkles and washing


How do you wash your quilts? I have been washing mine in cold water and then hanging them over a clothes airer to dry, but they don't seem to get that lovely crinkly texture of others quilts.

Should I be washing them with warm water or using the dryer to get those crinkles happening?

Is now the right time to tell you that I am one of those naughty people who never pre-washes fabric, but will hold their breath while the quilt is in the washing machine, petrified my hard work will be ruined? But still I don't pre wash. I will test a tiny piece of dark colours or reds in hot water though, does that make it ok?

What do you do?

6 comments:

Julie said...

yep, just throw them in the dryer. and please DON'T believe the common myth about pre washing fabrics! if you are ever concerned about colours running, throw some colour sheets in the wash with your quilt. when i began quilting i was told not to bother with pre washing, so i don't. i have never had a ruined quilt yet.
there will probably be those wanting to argue this point... but the proof has been in the pudding for me.
:)

Sarah said...

I have been told to only pre wash cheaper fabric...

Yup I use warm water and let them dry in the sun after a good shake. I have never need to use the dryer...

I think Leanne (Leannes House) recently had a post about how to wash your quilts - go have a look...

cyndi said...

i do not pre wash either...makes for a nicer crinkle i think, i wash in cold or warm and pop it in the dryer...then bask in the crinkly goodness and warmth when it comes out.

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Oh I like Julies tip on popping sheets in when you wash if you are worried about colour running! I never pre wash, unless they are cheap and nasty ;) And yes I was going to suggest the drier too xox

Lynda said...

My original patchwork teacher told us if we bought good quality fabric we never need to pre-wash it - except for red/burgundy - which I haven't done. Recently I washed two quilts with dark red homespun in the borders and I added colour catch sheets to the wash - fantastic! No colour runs and a plenty of colour caught in the sheets. I put one of the quilts in the dryer on warm - no problems.

Sonia said...

i've done both (pre wash and not). I prefer to prewash. I wash my quilts on delicate cycle cold water. I throw them in the dryer. I make sure to not overdry. That's a good way to ruin your hard work.