Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tutorial: three-dimensional flower


I used these fabric flowers to embelish the bag I made to take on my recent holiday.
Me and my bag in Carcasonne, France (!)


The flowers are really simple and very quick to make. I think they would also look good made into a brooch or even on a wallhanging. Please let me know if you have any queries about the following instructions.

For each flower, trace 5 circles the same size onto your chosen fabric. For my pink flower the circles I used had a diameter of approx 2 - 2.5 inches. I think I traced around a small espresso cup!


Cut out the circles on the lines.


Fold each circle in half, wrong sides together. Press. Then fold in half again to form a triangular shape. Press. These are your petals.



Using matching thread, work a running stitch along the curved edge of the first petal. Without knotting or cutting the thread, work a running stitch through the next petal in the same manner.



Continue until all 5 petals are joined.



Pull the thread taught to gather all the petals together into the flower shape. Sew the first and last petal together.

Sew the joined petals to your bag/wallhanging/brooch backing.


I added a button to the centre of my flower, big enough to cover the raw edges, but I think it would also look great with an appliqued circle or a suffolk puff in a contrasting colour.



That's it. Easy huh? :)

This is my 99th post - stay tuned for my 100th post giveaway!

15 comments:

Kate said...

Easy, and very cute!

Chookyblue...... said...

beautiful........will have to make one..........

Quiltycat said...

Thanks! Very nice tutorial and cute result.
nichi

a good yarn said...

What a delightful way to embellish a project! Thanks for the super tutorial. You have such a lovely smile too. Ann :)

Roseanne said...

O I just love your flowers. I think i will have a go and make some and put them away for up coming projects. Thank you for the tutorial on them

Dolores said...

I love it. So easy and now my mind is thinking of where to put these. Thanks for the tutorial. I love your fabrics.

Anonymous said...

They look great Renee.... I'll have to give some a go!

our shabby cottage said...

That's great - quick, simple, effective!

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

SO cute! I'll have to do this technique for my Lil Chick's head ribbons :)

Sarah Lou said...

those are adorable! Thank you!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I wiish I was as good at crafts as you! You turn pieces of fabric into lovely flowers and I can't even sew :(

Unknown said...

Oh this is cute - will put on my to do list - thanks for that !!!

Vanessa

justbe said...

very very nice...
I'll go and make some for my little baby girl...
Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ready Set Create said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the tut. . . I'm gonna try and make me some!! There are very few flowers out there that I like enough to actually make. :)