Well my sewing mojo has well and truly returned and I spent much of the weekend at my machine. Although Rachel's quilt along began 9 weeks ago, I started on Saturday and have managed to get all 16 blocks done. Not bad for someone with triangle phobia!
A few of my favourite blocks
Pretend those loose threads aren't there please!
I don't think I'll make Rachel's 2 week challenge to get it all together, quilted and bound, but hopefully I'll at least have the top together in the next fortnight. I think I'll go with white sashing and cornerstones - maybe mini pinwheels.
I'm also thinking I might have this one quilted professionally as the thought of stippling over those bulky seams is a little scary. But I'm not sure whether to go with an all over design or have something different for each block - ideas?
So I started a quilt comprised almost entirely of triangles. Nothing like facing a fear head on. I really love pinwheel quilts so I decided it was about time I make my own. I am following Rachel's pinwheel sampler tutorial and using a hunky dory layer cake.
This is what our desk looked like yesterday while I made a start on this quilt - I think I need a bigger desk!
Some sewing over the weekend - no idea where this is going as yet, but I'll see where it takes me. I usually plan my quilts, but I thought I might just play with this one, and I am really enjoying it. I am also taking notes and photos, so perhaps it may become a tutorial in the future...or maybe I'll even get up the courage to submit it to a magazine... I also had another go at some macarons and I really think I am getting there, although the tops weren't as smooth as last time. Same recipe, but this time I substituted 35g of almond meal for cocoa, and made a dark salted chocolate buttercream to fill them. Seriously yum!
Inspired by Lisa's French baking and my workmate Anita's delicious macarons of the pistachio variety - I decided to have a go at the infamous French macaron (with Tilly's help of course!).
To say I was nervous about making these is an understatement! Googling "French Macarons" reveals a multitude of pages about the intricacies of baking these gorgeous biscuits. So I read and read and read. I found many different recipes and even pages on troubleshooting. Then I decided to give it a shot - and I was pretty stoked with the result! Their 'feet' were a little splayed, and the inside a little sticky, but otherwise they were great. The troubleshooting guide tells me that my oven was probably a little too warm - file that away for next time.
I used the basic recipe from macaron extraordinaire Tartlette, with no colouring or flavouring in the biscuit. And I made a chilli chocolate butter cream with which to fill them.
It's done! Less than 2 weeks after the baby was born, I sewed on the label and finished it! My running name for this quilt was Katya's baby quilt, after the Mum-to-be, but now it is Alessia's baby quilt!
Of course, as soon as I finished it, Sydney has had nothing but grey days which made it an absolute bugger to take photos of. I couldn't take any outside! But I am happy with how the quilt turned out - even with my uncertainty about all those patterns!
And I have really fallen for pieced backs and I'm so glad I pieced this one. It really brightens it up. I'm not thrilled with the backing fabric as from afar it almost looks like a solid, and doesn't look to match.
But up close you can see all the cute polka dots in the backing and the binding fabrics.